Finding a licensed, professional land surveyor is extremely important for everyone from landowners to construction companies. It is not uncommon to need to update the legal boundaries of your property for multiple reasons, such as adding a fence to your personal home or changing the use of the property. It is also required to survey your property before refinancing. With so many surveyors in the area, it is important to find one that fits your needs and has the proper experience in your field.
How to Prepare Your Search
Before you start contacting potential surveyors, you should make sure to prepare. This will help you prepare to answer questions that the surveyors may have when you first contact them and will help you narrow your search before you even pick up the phone.
- Create copies of all related documents on the land you plan to have surveyed. They may ask for them, in which case you will already be prepared.
- If there are existing previous surveys, review them. It is possible you will be asked questions relating to these old land plots.
- Ask for recommendations from people in your industry/fellow homeowners. No review is better than one from someone you trust.
- Use the internet to search for surveyors in the area, and create a list of qualified professionals that have experience with what you need to be done.
- Check to see if your surveyor is licensed. A good place to check is the Queensland Surveyors Board. They have a reliable list for all registered surveyors.
Now that you have started a list of potential surveyors, it is time to take the next step. Once you have narrowed down your list to highly rated and licensed surveyors, it is time to pick up the phone.
Questions to Ask Potential Surveyors
When you start contacting your list of surveyors, there are a few specific questions you should ask to find the right surveyor for you.
- Are you licensed? – The first thing you will want to double-check is whether or not they are licensed to work with your specific request.
- What project experience do you have related to my request? – You will want to make sure they are confident in their experience with your type of surveying you need to be done.
- What marking tools and monuments do you use, what material are they? – This is one of the most vital questions that you will be asking. It is incredibly important that you choose a surveyor that is going to use high-quality markers and monuments, preferably made from metal. If they use something like wood, the markers and monuments will decay much quicker, leading to unnecessary future surveys.
- What will the cost be? – Of course, once they have passed all of these prerequisite questions, it is important to get a quote. This will help you choose between the remaining surveyors that have the previous qualifications.
- Do you have any references related to my type of project? – A professional company will gladly provide references from happy clients.
After gathering all of this information, you are now ready to pursue your top candidate. All of your research will have you confident in your choice to find a Mackay based surveyor. There are quite a few documents that your surveyor will need from you. You will want to get a copy of your deed, as well as any copies you made of the plot’s previous surveys. Getting these documents will ultimately help both you and the surveyor finish the project in a timely manner.